Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Logan's Big Girl Room Sneak Peek!

In my last post I promised to share the details of Logan's big girl room. The room isn't complete just yet, but I couldn't wait any longer to at least give you a little peek at some of the various elements and my original design inspiration boards. This is how I originally envisioned the space



Some items like the chair fabric, rug, and wall color have changed, but the rest of the elements are still a go. The pouf is from Target and I purchased it over six months ago knowing I wanted to use it in the room. The dresser is a hand-me-down refinished piece with the before and after posted below, as are the side tables. The funky chandelier my mother found at an antique store in Florida and had it shipped it to me. And the monogram is a decal ordered from Pottery Barn Teen.

I still love the floral fabric on the chair in the first inspiration board and the blogger and designer behind it is a major source of inspiration. Check out Caitlin Wilson's blog and shop here. Unfortunately as much as I love her style, at $60 a yard her designer fabric was way more than I wanted to spend!

I love the Anthropologie rug in the second inspiration board, however it was A.) backordered until October, and B.) over budget; so alas back to the drawing board.  It wasn't until I happened upon the fun bright floral fabric for only $12 a yard, and these cool lamps at Home Goods that the final vision for the room came together.




You'll have to wait a few more weeks for the final reveal, but here are some of the furniture makeovers that have taken place so far.





These little faux bamboo end tables belonged to my great aunt Eleanor. I took them from dingy and yellow to a fun glossy turquoise. While perusing the web I came across this identical table for sale on Etsy. It makes me feel so good knowing my hand-me-down tables only cost a can of paint and a little (husband) sweat equity rather than $125 a piece!


The dresser was yet another hand-me-down piece of furniture transformed with paint. I actually really liked the Chinoise motif on this dresser, but it wasn't going to work for Logan's new room. So back to my favorite mantra "White Works!"


Once again my amazingly talented designer mother suggested I add these cute knobs from where else... Anthropologie! They have the coolest hardware! It may get a little pricey if you need 20+ knobs for your kitchen, but I only needed six for this dresser; and it added just the right touch of whimsy and tied it in with the other turquoise elements in the room. 


The last makeover for Logan's room I want to share are these trays. If you hadn't guessed by now, yes they were also a fab free find from great aunt Eleanor. I just love how kitschy and vintage they are, and  Logan love love loves dogs! So it was a no-brainer that these would be great adorning the walls of her room.


The back of each tray shares a little story about what those crazy kanines are up to!
I wasn't sold on the brown faux wood, but before painting over an antique that could potentially be worth something I checked Ebay to see what these vintage trays were selling for. The set of four currently sells for about $15, so I took the plunge and painted the edges, as you can see in the photo near the top of this post.

So that concludes the sneak peek. Are you as excited as I am to see the final project come together?!








1 comment: