Saturday, November 7, 2015

Bye Bye Terrible Twos, Hello Threenager!

It used to just be the "terrible twos" you had to worry about. However, much to my dismay, there is a new stage with an even more panic inducing turn of phrase; the "threenager"! (three-year-old teenager). At least at the age of two many of the tantrums and tears can largely be forgiven because your child is simply trying to express themselves and discover their independence. By three those excuses are pretty much out the window. They know better; in fact, they know everything, or at least they think they do. 

I know this, because I now have my very own threenager living under my roof.  In typical threenager fashion she threw a fit on the night of her third birthday party. Cue the music "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to."

She didn't want to come to dinner, blow out her candles, eat cake, or even open presents! So her friend Naomi and I took matters into our own hands. I'll be damned if I have to miss out on chocolate cake just because she didn't want to blow out the candles.



Fortunately eventually the storm clouds lifted and we were all able to enjoy the Paw Patrol-themed party (she's obsessed with the Nickelodeon show), and of course, chocolate cake!

Adam is normally the cake baker of the family, but since he was out of town this week, that duty fell squarely on the shoulders of yours truly. I would never hear the end of it from my dear husband if I used a boxed mix, so enter Pinterest! I used this recipe for the cake and buttercream, and this one for the oreo cream filling between the layers.



 It turned out amazing if I do say so myself. In addition to tasting great, I thought it looked pretty cute too! 



Part of the credit goes to my adorable sous chef. When she's not throwing a tantrum she's actually a lot of fun to be around.


While the birthday girl opted not to have cake the night of her party that certainly didn't stop her little sister!


Just in case chocolate cake wasn't enough I made puppy paw cupcakes in keeping with the theme.


While this was just a small dinner with family and friends I still felt compelled to decorate a little. Nothing like either of the girls' first birthdays (really need to post about those at some point!), but cute nonetheless. 






As you would expect with a Paw Patrol birthday there were a few Paw Patrol toys which were obviously a hit, but I wanted to share a few of my favorite birthday gifts this lucky girl received. 


Her first barbie and first Disney princess.


I found this adorable necklace at a craft fair I participated in and fell in love! It amuses me that my little pony has made a comeback. All things are cyclical I guess.


 This Elephant bank was also a craft fair find. 


How cute is this chunky crochet cowl and finger-less gloves made by my friend and party guest Danielle?! Gifted just in time since the weather has just recently turned. 

Finally, I want to share a photo of a birthday tradition that some of you may find a little offensive. You've been warned...


Logan received this candle as a baby gift. The concept is cute; burn it down each year on the child's birthday all the way to the age of 21. While this may just look like an ordinary candle, in person its wrinkly pink exterior and large conical shape conjure up images of something else entirely. Maybe it's just our perverse minds, but we light it each year with a giggle and marvel at the fact that someone would give a baby a giant...well, you know what!

Happy Birthday Logan!











No comments:

Post a Comment