Monday, April 6, 2015

Big Girl Room Complete

It's been almost a year in the making, but I think Logan's big girl room is finally finished! When we moved into our new home in March of 2014, Logan started out in this room which I shared pictures of awhile back.

Knowing that another baby girl was on the way I decided it was easier to just transition Logan into a new bed in a new room rather than moving the crib and the rocker and playing Tetris with the furniture and bookshelves. So Katie Parker inherited Logan's old room; and I got to start with a blank canvas. Oh the possibilities!

As I have mentioned in previous posts working with existing furniture pieces and thrifty finds to transform them gives me a little bit of a high, and it's not just from inhaling the paint fumes! I love the satisfaction of seeing the before and after. In addition I love a mix of old and new and furniture pieces that compliment one another rather than being perfectly matchy-matchy.

So here's a little visual on how it all came together:



(A) I started with these cute vintage bamboo end tables, sanded and painted pale aqua.

(B) Then more sanding and repainting of this Chinoise style dresser.

(C) Next this day bed from Ikea, with wonderfully large storage drawers underneath perfect for large stuffed animal collections, or if you are like my two-year old, your many pairs of shoes. Seriously this girl has a shoe problem. I have no idea where she gets it! (ha ha!) 

(D) I added these cute Anthropol0gie knobs to both the daybed and dresser drawers.

(E) For a personal touch, this wall monogram decal from Pottery Barn Teen did the trick.

(F & G) My design assistant (aka my mom) and I came upon this cheery floral fabric and knew right away that it would be perfect to reupholster this chair with, and make a few throw pillows to boot!

(H) This pouf from Target was the first thing I bought for the room

(I) Had my handy man (aka husband) hang more of these Ribba picture ledges from Ikea to display books just like we did in Logan's original room. 

(J) After rehabbing the bamboo chandelier in the other room I knew I needed an equally fun light fixture for this room. Thanks again to my design assistant for finding this funky fixture in an antique shop in Florida! 

(K) Speaking of funky, these silly dog trays fit right in with the rest of the vintage decor, after a little paint of course! 

Finally paint, drapes dressed up with a little grosgrain ribbon trim, an area rug, a pair of brass pharmacy lamps that were collecting dust in the basement, a few colorful accessories, and voila!












l used to think Logan's original room was my favorite one in the house, but now I'm not so sure. This new room turned out so bright and cheerful, it makes me happy just to walk in there. It makes me even happier to walk in there and see my little lady playing with her new kitchen (post on that coming soon) or rolling around on the rug giggling with her daddy; and happier still tucking her into her new big girl bed each night. 











No comments:

Post a Comment