Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Proud Pinterest Momma

Scrolling through my Facebook feed this morning I came across an article a friend shared titled, 5 Mom Shaming Trends That Need to Stop Now. Naturally, being a mother, I was curious. The author of the article makes great points on both sides of the "Mom Shaming" issues including breastfeeding, organic snacks, and working vs stay-at-home moms. The only issue I don't agree with her on is the Pinterest Party trend. Here are her thoughts on the subject:

 3. Pinterest parties.
Can we just stop, please? When (and why) did we even start this ridiculous trend? To make ourselves feel bad? I'm not sure who actually has time to plan these immaculate parties full of handmade decorations, glorified dessert tables and matching hats for guests. Sure, we've all done it, but it usually goes more like this: You pin "cute" banners and matching cupcake toppers that will look even cuter than your friends' party while falling asleep at 2 a.m. After forgetting to order the items off Etsy in time, you spend a fortune paying a local baker to make the treats and pawn them off as homemade. Of course, you then take 100 photos in hopes of getting one good shot and shamelessly pin, tweet, Instagram and tag it to every social media channel you own -- just to make sure all your mom friends have seen it. To make it worse, you go through and judge and (gasp) laugh at mistakes or flaws in your other friends' parties.
She claims she wants the "Mom Shaming" to stop and yet this somehow feels like a direct shame to me. Probably because I love this so called "ridiculous trend". In fact, long before Pinterest was even a blip on your computer screen I was planning and hosting themed parties with glorified dessert tables, handmade decorations, appetizers, etc. I'm not going to lie, when I post pictures of my parties to social media outlets I do so because I am proud. However, this is not the reason why I throw elaborate parties in the first place. The parties are always about the people. I go all out because I love it,  always have. I am creative and outgoing, so playing hostess is a great fit for me.
I have no problem attending a party with store bought decor, cake, food, etc. Ultimately I am at a party to enjoy the company of the other attendees. So if you present me with a store-bought fruit tray or bakery cookies I'm not going to pass judgment. So don't judge me because I want to hand slice individual artisinal cheeses and adorn them with tiny little labels, and color coordinate my decor and napkins. 
On that note, I wanted to share some pictures from my daughter's Minnie Mouse-themed 2nd birthday party. Yes, I handmade decorations; and yes, I decorated an adorable cake; and yes, I dressed her to theme; and No, she won't remember. So why go to the trouble? Because it was a special day, for a special girl, and I loved seeing the joy on her face when she sat in her chair and pointed out all of the Mickey Mouses. And in the interest of full disclousure I did it for me too, to fulfill the need to create and share my passion. I am a "Pinterest Mom" and proud of it!
An easy Mickey Mouse mobile, I just cut the heads out of card stock and ran them through my sewing machine!






Ice cream cake! Notice the imperfections, I may be a "Pinterest Mom" but I'm not perfect!

All worth it for that adorable face!

No comments:

Post a Comment